16 April 2011

It takes a village...

...to raise a child.

This saying is so well-known. When it comes to raising children, we understand that there are more influences than just the parents and the immediate family. People from everywhere will directly and indirectly add input to help mold the values in a child's life. Sometimes intentional, other times unintentional.

Whether or not you realize it, everything we do affects everyone else and vice versa. Remembering this can sometimes be hard. I would like to jog some memories with the making of this blog.

Meet me. Monique Charles. I am a divorced mother of three. During the last 2 years of my marriage, I was a housewife. I was separated from my husband and two older children while eight months pregnant. In the last three years, I have lived with various families, in search for financial stability. Currently, I'm living in public housing. I have recently been promoted to supervisor at my job and I continue work for complete independence from government aid.

For a long time, I've felt alone. God has been the single factor that held me together. He has placed people in my life as a reminder that He's looking out and taking care. This village He placed me in consists of family, friends, church family, and even complete strangers.

I hope to inspire those like me (or perhaps in a worse situation) to keep going. Sure, sacrifices have to be made, but the reward will be great if you can keep moving in the right direction. I would also like to inspire those who don't know what it's like to be so fricken dependant. There are so many people abusing "the system." They take advantage of programs designed to lend a helping hand, so that those who don't have a chance, can have a chance.

Currently, I am enrolled in a program with my housing authority called the Family Self Sufficiency program. It's designed for those of us who want an escape plan. It's a five year program, that I would like to get out of in less than 3. My goals are to build emergency funds, get a better paying job, build savings accounts for my children, and buy a house.

Let's follow this road together to see where we'll end up!

No comments:

Post a Comment